Movie Review Thursday - Get on Up

I was always taught about the legend that is James brown, I was even shown his music and began to watch him perform, from an early age I just admired his way of performing. It got to the point where I wanted to seek further knowledge of James Brown. As I knew of his music I didn't know the history of his life. I felt that's why this brought a lot of excitement for me.
From the director that brought The Help to our screens directed this masterpiece. In places, it was hard hitting and powerful. But did you expect anything less from Jame's Brown story? What was so fascinating for me was. I had recently watched the movie 42 starring Harrison Ford & Chadwick Boseman. I felt Chadwick's performance in 42 was excellent when I discovered that it was him playing the role of James Brown it was a mixture of emotions. From excitement to nervous. Nervous because he's going to take on the role of one of the greatest soulful musicians on the planet. Yet that being said however I couldn't flaunt it. His performance was more than impressive it was incredible. To not only sounding like him but even looking like him in selective scenes was impressive. Of course, that wasn't down to him personally that was the talented make-up team.
I must make a point in saying this because normally when they write a review they don't get half of it. You would be expected to watch it from beginning to sort of understand. Purely on the basis of it will keep jumping in different era's on minute you're watching the movie being set in the 40s then it will jump to the 60s etc.

However, that being said even by the standards of the early rock 'n' roll songs the 1956 "Please, Please Please" is primitive, in fact primal. It's the "Hare Krishna" of sexual desperation: one word is repeated a couple dozen  times in a lover's mantra, prayer or threat as crooned by the vocal group, The Famous Flames, and howled by their lead singer. In the Biopic Get on Up, a record-label executive listens to the number and dismisses it. Where are the verses and chorus, where the play on words? And Browns's manager keeps repeating "it's not the song" Exactly right. It's the singer. For me personally it was outstanding performance's from all the cast on this production. Back in 2007 Jamie Foxx won best actor for his incredible performance as Ray Charles. Boseman Exceed that solids standard, Incarnating James Brown in all his journey uniqueness, he deserves a some prize for being able to pull off such a remarkable performance.

It was a great insight into the legend that is James Brown. You got to learn about his life, his struggle and the meaning for certain elements towards his life. It's insanely brilliant. Most people have suggested it's too long. To some aspects, I agree as it is on for around 3 hours or so. Yet that being said so was the wolf of wall street and everyone idolised that movie. I feel this needed to be a lengthy film purely because it's a movie based on his whole entire life. They didn't want to miss anything out.

Overall if you haven't seen this I suggest you do so as this is one of the best biopics I've seen in a while. Could say because I'm a James brown fan? Not exactly because you don't have to be a James brown fan to find him remarkable. To appreciate his struggle, and most importantly share his music. For me it was such an eye opener, I felt his pain. It was such a brilliant and captivating movie. Hence why I really enjoyed this so much. If you haven't got round to watching this yet. I suggest you go out and see this ASAP. Purely because it's such a remarkable beautiful movie.


Rest in peace such a legend in the business Mr. James brown. After watching this, I was able to embrace the legend that he was. It was such a beautiful tribute.

No comments