Midweek Spotlight: Kevin Fitzsimmons Interview




Name: Kevin Fitzsimmons 
Location: London 
Interviewed for: Street Cred Magazine 
Interviewed by: Liam O'Leary 





For our Readers sake could you tell us a little background information about you and what it is that you do? Originally a Londoner, I now live by the sea in Essex. I spend most of my working day sorting out bands/shows for the various gigs I do. Because  as well as my own live gigs I also co-produce/ host a touring Big Band concert (celebrating Sinatra’s iconic music at Capitol Records in the 50s: www.sinatrasequinsandswing.com) and sorting out sets and bands for the corporate event/party band sector - where you’ll find me performing in guises of Sinatra, Dean Martin, Michael Buble and in swing bands & the like. So along with my own jazz band stuff it keeps me busy.
When did you first realise you had a passion for music? My family are huge music lovers and there was always a relentless mix of quite eclectic music being played. Though like a lot of musicians I became passionate in my early teens.
What made you want to pursue a career in music? Simply the love of it all

Was jazz music your major interest or was it something you just fell into? Jazz was always part of the furniture growing up and the love of jazz was passed down like a family heirloom. Though in early teens I also started to listen to things like Atlantic Soul, & Tamla Motown stars Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye. Also rhythm & blues stars like John Lee Hooker and bands like Nine Below Zero.

You've had an incredible career so far, but what would you say has been your biggest achievement to date? A personal achievement was standing on stage for the first time at probably the most famous jazz club in the world - & UK’s  jazz mecca – Ronnie Scott’s in Soho, and I’ve been lucky enough to enjoy a few sell-out shows there since.

where do you see your career heading within the next 12 months? Sounds clichéd I know, but same as most singers I just hope to keep developing ideas, creating new music and performing live.

How old was you when you discovered a talent within music? Again, it was those pivotal teenage years when it’s all going from soprano to baritone that I became aware I had a voice that kept in tune.

Your latest album, what was the whole message behind it? We didn’t set out to do any kind of concept album; the band & me just wanted to present the kind of jazz we’d been offering up at live gigs for the past couple of years.

This is a fun question more than anything, If you had a movie that was based around you entire life, who would you love to play you?  Well you dream someone like Hollywood movie-idol Cary Grant would be suggested but knowing my luck they’d cast Mr Bean.

who would you say inspires you? My band’s jazz musicians inspire me really because they’re such a creative bunch. It’s such a buzz when you’re sharing a stage with some of the finest mainstream jazz players around letting rip!

If you could make music with one artist on the planet right now, who would it be? Stevie Wonder would be a dream, with Quincy Jones the producer.

Regarding your latest album, for those that haven't heard it what are the readers to expect when hearing the album? Digestible, interesting mainstream jazz recorded using classic analogue equipment to give it a bit of an authentic ‘vinyl’ sound.  The tracks are a mix of some of my own songs (and a couple written in collaboration with Jools Holland sax man Derek Nash), new jazz translations of some iconic rock/pop songs plus some great jazz standards. And some awesome musicianship.

If you could some up your album in 3 words what would it be? Real, original, diverse

Another fun question, If you could go on a date with any celebrity who would it be? Well it would have to be someone like Michael Buble. Purely business mind, to see if he’s got any gigs he can’t do that I can cover for him! (Please, somewhere...there are some groupies in a trailer with my name on it ha!)

How did you get to where you are today musically? Really it was just by plugging away at different ideas and re-workings of jazz standards  

What would you say makes you different from other artists out there at the moment? I wouldn’t know really, I’d say that’s one for the critics to answer. Please!!!

Finally. What advice would you give to someone attempting to break into the music industry themselves?
Another cliché that’s true is never give up as we all get knock-backs. If you know in your heart what you’re doing is good, keep doing it.

Many thanks for your time, I wish you the best of luck with your career and with the album. I'm sure you're going to a huge sensation and inspire more individuals to take up the art of music. Best of luck for the future and I hope to hear from you soon. 

N.B. Kevin’s own website re his CD & own band is www.jazzwurx.co.uk




No comments