Peter Stringfellow: The King of Clubs sadly passed away at the age of 77

Peter Stringfellow was a popular figure frequently enjoyed media and business success the businessman, who had wanted to keep his illness private, died early on Thursday after spending time in hospital.

His publicist, Matt Glass, said: "It's very sad news. He passed away in the early hours of this morning.

"It was kept very private, he didn't want to tell. He wanted to keep it a secret." Stringfellow - known as the King of Clubs - started in the nighttime trade in the early 1960s and recalled booking acts including The Beatles, The Kinks and Jimi Hendrix to play at his clubs.

'One of Sheffield's finest'
Former boxing champion Frank Bruno was among those to pay tribute, describing him as "a great guy and king of the discos".

Novelist and journalist Tony Parsons shared a picture of Stringfellow alongside American singers Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye, calling them "three legends".

The heartfelt thing about hearing all those beautiful tributes regarding one of the finest and wises men in the business wasn't just the heartfelt goodbyes to such a great man. But it was the personal effects each of those individuals used for it.

Everyone he met made them feel special. He always made everyone he was in the surroundings of was enjoying and living life to their fullest. Stringfellow underwent treatment for lung cancer after being diagnosed in 2008.

However, he only told family and close friends and kept the diagnosis a secret for nearly six years - until it was leaked in 2015.

For those that wasn't aware of Peter Stringfellow. Lets look back at some of his memorable quotes.

My favourite guest was Stephen Hawking. I was so excited when he came in and I wanted to talk to him about the universe. But when I asked him what he wanted he just said, 'Girls'. (Evening Standard in 2011)


I don't want anyone coming into my clubs thinking they are going to get a sexual encounter. Of course it's sexually stimulating, but so is a disco, so is a pretty girl. So is David Beckham with his gear on. So are the Chippendales (BBC in 2008)


It's been a positive force in terms of our sexual attitudes. These clubs broke down the fear a lot of people have about sex (BBC in 2012)

It's a nice feeling having the success I have, but I have spent a lifetime getting here. I didn't just win X-Factor!
(Joking) I am wonderful, with a perfect physique, very charming, rich and look like Jude Law (Metro, 2009)


The majority of people who say they are having the best sex in the world are usually lying and some nights that goes for me






Even though I wasn't ever blessed with the chance of meeting Peter Stringfellow, he was always up there with people I would loved to have for reasons I can't even begin to explain, he was a celebrity that didn't even class himself as celebrity he was so down to earth and humble. That being said he inspired me growing up to always stay true to yourself. Never change anything about yourself just to please others.

But even though individuals admired him for being such an incredible Businessman he never once delcared himself as that to his peers and the public.  "First of all I'm not a businessman, I'm just a bloody good club owner. I'm very autocratic and have a very good team but ultimately I make the final decision."

Married three times and a grandfather four times over, Stringfellow married former lap dancer Bella - 41 years his junior - in 2009.

The pair's two children - Rosabella and Angelo - were born when he was in his 70s.


He'll never be forgotten.


No comments